Wednesday, May 8, 2013

CEO

Today I read an article about why the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch chooses not to market sizes XL and XXL. According to him it is because he only wants "cool" people to be seen in their clothing. It is for the "cool" kids in school. He says that there are always several groups of kids in school and his clothing is for the popular, "cool", thin kids. Have you seen the ads? Half-dressed couples in suggestive poses. Why bother with clothes at all? He also stated that they only hire "cool", thin, attractive people to work in their stores. Well, Mr. CEO, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd also like to ask why the over use of the word "cool." Could it possibly be that you, Mr. CEO, were not one of the "cool" kids in school? Does being thin automatically make you beautiful? No! No  more that being "fluffy" makes you ugly.

As I read this I wanted to be outraged! I wanted to write a scathing letter to this obviously shallow man. I wanted to, but I couldn't. All I could feel was pity. This man has no idea of beauty. He could not possibly understand love, because love is not gauged by beauty. He is living his life on the surface. There is no depth to his soul.  What happens as beauty fades? Do you love your aging parents less because they are aging and it is no longer "cool" to love them? Do you love your newborn baby less because they emerge with a misshapen head from hours of labor? Do you quit loving your wife if she gets a few wrinkles or gains a few pounds after having your child? I cannot understand what is going on inside your head. Perhaps it is what is NOT going on that perplexes me.

Now I have seen many beautiful thin people in my lifetime. Some of them were my friends. But to me what made them beautiful was the beauty that came from within. Sure they wanted to look good, but they did not dismiss those who were not so beautiful or thin. I have also seen many beautiful, not so thin people in my lifetime. The people that I choose for friends are the ones who are beautiful souls. Those who care and show that they care. I have had many wonderful friends over the years and I call you all beautiful whether you are short, tall, thin, fluffy, pretty, or plain. To me you are beautiful. You have allowed me to cry on your shoulder and you have cried on mine. You have lent me money when I was broke. You have watched my kids, brought food over to my house when my mother died, went to bat for me, and been there for me when I needed you. So, to all my BEAUTIFUL friends, THANK YOU! I don't care if you can shop for clothes in Abercrombie and Fitch or not. Heck, shop at Goodwill for all I care. You are more to me that clothes! You are substance and soul. And that, Mr. CEO, will elude you forever. I am sorry for you. I can only hope that someday you will be as rich as I am.


1 comment:

  1. I love this. I wish I was able to feel your pity toward this foul, disgusting excuse for a "man", but I felt the outrage. I only hope that anyone who reads that repulsive interview with him will immediately stop buying from that store and no longer allow their children to shop their either.

    ReplyDelete