Friday, April 26, 2013

Stop Signs

During my high school years I took Driver's Ed. Back then it was a course that most of us took for free in order to get our driver's license. Now kids, or should I say parents, have to pay for this privilege. One day I was cruising down the street when the driver's ed car stopped. I looked questioningly at my instructor. He pointed out the window and said, "Stop sign." Then we spent the next several minutes of our drive discussing problems with running a stop sign: wrecks, tickets, etc. I became highly aware of stop signs after that. To this day I come to a full stop and look when I am at a stop sign. (Yellow lights, however, are a challenge. Can I make it through? vroom.....)

Anyway, being fluffy has made me put stop signs in my life. Hmmm, do I want to wear a bathing suit on the beach? Stop sign. Will I order a dessert? Stop sign. Will I take my grandkids to an amusement park? Stop sign. Will I wear shorts because it is 98 degrees outside? Stop sign. Will I talk to the guy standing next to me in the grocery line? Stop sign. Can I get on an airplane to go visit my son? Stop sign. I need a picture of myself for my business. Stop sign. Can I sit on that lawn chair? Stop sign. And the list goes on and on and on and on. I have placed stop signs in so many areas of my life that I rarely leave the house and I never do anything fun. I want to join a group to make friends in my new town. Stop sign. 

The problem with stop signs is not the stopping. The stopping is absolutely necessary in order to stay safe. The problem lies in the fear to go on. If we stop at the stop sign but do not go through it, we will never reach our destination. I have a destination in mind. My destination is to be healthy and as happy as I possibly can. In order to reach that destination, I have to swallow my fear, say a prayer, and pull out into the intersection of life by doing things that have stopped me before. Now my foot is going to go gently on the gas pedal. I will start with the small things and move on up from there. I didn't drive the freeway my first time out. So, how about a new outfit? I'm thinking shorts and a cute top. vroommm, vroommmm! Look out, world, here I come.

5 comments: