Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Martha Sue

I tried to write this installment yesterday, but found that I could not. It was in my mind. The words swirled around all day. The problem wasn't the words, it was trying to write through the tears. Martha Sue. My mom. Yesterday, April 29, 2013 was the 9th anniversary of her passing on into her journey in heaven. She died at home surrounded by her family. My dad was holding one of her hands, my sister was holding the other, and I was rubbing her feet. She struggled to breath and then she let out a loud whooshing sound and there was no more. I have never felt such anguish in my entire life. My mommy was gone. My mommy who loved me unconditionally my whole life. My mommy.

Martha Sue was a powerful women. She was not big, she was just average. Average height, average weight, brown hair, brown eyes, and the most powerful prayer warrior I have ever known. She believed in the power of prayer. She prayed about everything. Sometimes I would see her sitting in her chair with her hands on her forehead and her eyes closed. Most people would think that she was napping. But I knew that she way praying. She believed in all that God could do. She also believed that you should do all that you were capable of doing. No excuses!

As kids we would often complain as kids do, "I can't." Mom's reply? "Can't died in the poorhouse." We were not allowed to say "can't". We had to try. No excuses. But that made me want to succeed. I would try and try and try until I got it right. Whatever it was. Mom expected it. I wanted to give mom what she wanted. I wanted to please her.

As an adult I became a teacher. Mom instilled a love of learning in me at a very young age. She told me once that I could say all of my A,B,Cs when I was 18 months old. You could see the pride in her eyes. I pictured my mom as a young mother, sitting with me in her lap, and singing the ABC Song until I could sing it, too. She was insistent that homework be done as soon as we were home from school. No playing until homework was finished. She would explain it then go about fixing dinner while we worked at the kitchen table. When we were done she would check it. Anything that was incorrect she would mark with a very light checkmark. We had to try again. If we still missed, she would teach us what to do. We always had perfect homework.

My mom loved to sing but she was a terrible singer. We teased her about it all the time. She knew that she was not a good singer, but it didn't stop her. She especially loved to sing hymns and praise music at church. After she passed away I always pictured her singing in the choir in heaven.That would make her happy. Praise God that my mom was a Christian and that I will be able to see her again someday. I love my mom. She was my best friend, my mentor, my ally. My mom, Martha Sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment